This posting has expired and is no longer available.
The Construction Supervisor [CS] working with Project Manager(s), will have overall responsibility for all refinery plant construction related activities. This will include developing the Project Execution Plan, identifying any deviations from the agreed scope or premises of the project, assessing their impact and ensuring action during the project construction planning and execution. The Construction Supervisor plays a key project team integration role and is expected to be knowledgeable across all functional areas of project execution, including bidding and award process, and be competent in supervising all work associated with the assigned project(s).
Major Job Tasks
- Assists WNR Management in determining project scopes, in selecting contractors and in selecting equipment vendors.
- Reviews and approves contractor's schedules and plans, ensures accuracy of progress reports, and specifies progress recovery measures with contractor when needed. Evaluates and documents contractor performance for lessons learned and in support of continuous improvement process, from the standpoint of: safety, quality, specifications, costs, and schedule.
- Provides mentorship and guidance on non destructive testing [NDT], electrical, instrumentation, coatings, insulation, fireproofing, pre-commissioning, rigging/heavy lifting, Health Safety and Environmental, QA/QC, material control, logistics, project controls, and contract administration functions.
- Provides guidance, mentors, and trains Construction Coordinator in Safety processes such as Job Safety Analysis, Behavioral Observations, Site Safety Inspections, and other project execution processes, such as scheduling, and estimating.
- Issues Field Work Directive Change (FWDC) documents to identify out of scope project work necessary to move work forward; ongoing management and supervision of construction activities for conformance with project plans, through mechanical completion and preparation for commissioning.
- During the construction phase, coordinates permitting activities, participates in Project Risk Management process, and manages the Contractor’s efforts.
- Supports Project Management to develop the project schedule, project execution strategy, material management strategy, temporary facilities, and identify quality, cost control, safety and environmental objectives for the project. Monitors project safety, cost and progress. Makes changes as necessary to meet project goals.
- Prepares bid packages and evaluates bids as required. Pre-qualifies contractors and major package assembly sites. Reviews and assists in validation of construction estimates/schedules provided by engineering firms, contractors, and suppliers.
- Involves affected departments during project scoping to gather their input, and coordinates project construction with the departments that will be affected.
- Works with contractors to develop their Construction Execution Plan, which details the Site Safety Plan, Cost Control measures, Planning/Scheduling and Progress Reporting Systems, Mobilization Requests of personnel and equipment, QA/QC documentation, etc., through which the project will be completed.
- Ensure the project is performing in accordance with Company Standards/Procedures and all project required documentation is being completed in an adequate and timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word, Access.
- Experienced in reading and interpreting engineering drawings, schedules and construction sequencing.
- Basic knowledge of construction crafts.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including but not limited to the ability to present ideas, proposals and results to project management, operations, inspection and contractors.
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily work as assigned by Project Engineering Manager, including tracking and supporting large and small size projects, and see projects to completion while maintaining confidentiality.
Will supervise staff of one direct report and 25 indirect reports.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Project Management, or related discipline.
- 2. Ten years experience in Project Management refinery or petro-chemical project construction.
- 3. Certified Welding Inspector, NACE Level 1
- Seeing: Must be able to read reports and use computer.
- Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with co-workers.
- Talking: Must be able to express and exchange ideas by means of spoken words.
- Sitting: Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Standing/Walking/Mobility: Must be able to stand and walk distances of up to ¼ mile.
- Bending/Reaching/Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to bend, reach, stoop
- Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: Major portions of daily work require application of manual skills involving motor coordination and finger dexterity.
- The employee will be required to lift and carry a 20 pound file box from a floor to shoulder height
- This is a safety sensitive position: will have to pass a physical fitness test, drug screening, and background check. In addition, they will be subject to random drug testing.
- Must comply with OSHA Respiratory Protection guidelines and the company respiratory protection program which includes a medical evaluation and fit test to determine the ability to wear a respirator. Must be able to don appropriate respiratory equipment to protect the employee whenever respirators are required.
- Work is typically performed inside a regular office in an oil refinery setting.
- Some analysis and troubleshooting may require trips into the refinery setting. Proper PPE and training will be supplied and adherence to all safety and operational procedures will need to be followed.
- Light exposure to electrical shock, bright or dim lighting, wet or humid conditions, and extreme heat (non-weather).
- Light exposure to extreme heat and cold, moving mechanical parts, loud noise, and vibrations.
- Light exposure to outdoor weather conditions including wind, rain, snow and heat.